Monday, November 17, 2008

Delight


According to Webster delight is the following:
“a high degree of gratification; Joy ; also: extreme satisfaction”

While I was in college I was a nanny for about 3 years. This last weekend I spent the day with the two children that I help care for during those years. Through my time with them I was reminded that extreme satisfaction does not come from possessions, circumstances, or accomplishments. We find true delight through relationship. Delight is found in the precious moments when we are completely present with whatever person we are with and thankful for what is right before us. On Saturday I found myself laughing, smiling, and being filled with joy because the two kids I was with were so delighted just spending time with me. I found delight in their delight. I am sure parents you experience this time and again with your children. The Lord used this weekend to remind me of how much He, as my Father, delights in me. I remember this last summer when I was in Ireland, I was at this gorgeous lush park standing at one of the higher peaks looking down on this breathtaking view, and at that moment I felt overwhelmed by the amount of joy and delight that filled my heart and soul. This was not because of the beauty that I was surrounded by but because I was standing there in the presence of my heavenly Father enjoying this precious moment with Him alone.
The Lord’s word tells us that He delights in giving us our deepest desires. However, our deepest desire should be a deeper relationship with Him. In Him we find our greatest delight.

“The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.” Zephaniah 3:17

This week let’s listen for the Lord’s song, allow Him to quiet us with His love, and let’s find delight in the precious moments the Lord gives us when it is just us and Him enjoying one another’s presence.

No comments: