Friday, June 19, 2009

Ngwa Lofo

Ngwa Lofo is the name of a local tradition where on the 3rd day after a baby is born he or she is brought out of the house and is presented to family and friends for the first time. The newborn is brought out just long enough to give thanks to God and pray over him/her and then taken back inside where he or she will stay until the umbilical cord falls off. I got to experience this local tradition on Wednesday. My language helper Mary was asked to be a part of the small service before the presenting of the baby. She asked if I would like to come along and participate. Before we saw the baby there was a time of singing, prayer, and even a short message was given. Many thanks were given to God for the life of this baby and for all blessings the family has recieved.








2 comments:

Michelle said...

is this all locals? What God are they praying to then? That's cool that you got to experience that!

dlms said...

Kim, thanks for your wonderful blog on life in Mundri! You don't know me, but I've been to Lui several times and met Larissa and Acacia there last time, as well as Kyle, Michael and Karen in Mundri. It makes me incredibly happy to see the WHM work flourishing and to read about the Moru people and language in your blog. It's also cool to know you all stay at the MAF guesthouse too when you're in Kampala. Somehow reading your words makes my own experience seem less distant and surreal. My prayers and thoughts are with you all, and I give thanks for the rain, which finally came two days after we left Lui earlier this month! Did Mundri Diocese get its VSAT yet?