Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Discipline

Discipline is always a tricky subject to talk about let alone write about. Everyone has their own view and opinion. But I think we can all agree that discipline is a part of life, it can help a parent rear their child to become a mature, responsible adult, and even though we don’t like it, it also helps us in our walk as we try to make decisions that will bring glory to our heavenly Father.

In the U.S. if a student is tardy to school without a note they may have to owe a recess, sit in detention, or make up the time in some other form. Over the past two days I watched around 500 students get punished for being late to school. My heart strings get pulled when I watch discipline take place here in Mundri. I struggle with whether this is because there must be other methods or because my western mind quickly goes in the direction of judgment since discipline methods here are far different from what I am used to. But is what I am used to better? I guess the most important question is: Is the discipline being done out of love? A question that I would love to discuss more with teachers and other educators. I also just continue to pray for my heavenly Father to change my heart in places that need changing and to place opportunities before me to love and encourage the students and staff as best I can.

No comments: