Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rebuilding the Walls

“Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, ‘If it pleases the king and if you servant has found favor in this sight, let him send me to the city of Judah where my fathers are buried so that I can rebuild it.’ Nehemiah 2:5

I am currently reading the book of Nehemiah; a book about the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem. Three years ago this month a group of 7 of us set out to explore Mundri, s. Sudan as the starting place for WHM ministry in Sudan. And now we have had a team here for almost 2 years. South Sudan is a land that has faced a lot of destruction, but in the last few years many have been coming together and have begun the rebuilding process. As I have been reading Nehemiah, Sudan has been on my heart especially with the upcoming referendum. Sudan is a nation that has seen years of war, ruin, violence, and devastation. But in our time here we have seen glimpses of hope for a future free of war and destruction. We have seen new buildings go up, plans come together for the renovation of Bishop Ngalamu College, new solar pumps replace hand pumps, the expansion of the market, preparations being made for new roads, and even articles about s. Sudan’s proposal for animal shaped cities, seems laughable, I know, but it still shows the desire for change and transformation. I am thankful that many are moving forward in hopes of a peaceful future for Sudan, but as I read Nehemiah I am also driven to prayer. Please also join me in praying for Sudan and the upcoming Referendum. Just as Nehemiah faced opposition in the rebuilding of Jerusalem’s walls, Sudan too may face opposition as they try and seek a future that is best for the people. Please pray that God would be paving the way for the nation. Pray that He would be the foundation in the rebuilding process.

No comments: