Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Being Kids Again

This week at our teacher training I am reminded of my days in training courses for elementary education. I took a course on each subject area that I would be teaching in the school and for each class I was asked to create lesson after lesson. I learned about the different parts of a lesson and how if we as teachers do not plan well it can really impact how our students learn. This week we are sharing some of these lesson plan ideas with the participants at our training. And just as I had to present my lessons to my peers as if they were my students, this week the teachers in our training are also being given the chance to present their lesson and act as students. I laugh at how quickly we as grown-ups jump at the chance to become kids again. The teachers have had no problem acting as students as they pretend they don’t understand the teacher, point to the wrong pictures, ask silly questions, or blurt out obnoxious responses. I can’t help but smile as I see our participants grasp new ideas and have fun in the process.

In this picture Melissa (who has come for 10 weeks to help teach Michael and Karen's children) is teaching the participants a song before she begins a lesson on leaves and graphing. The participants had a great time learning the new song and participating in the lesson activities. Below you will see some volunteers holding leaves and joining in another song that ends with their leaves dropping to the ground. One of the best types of learning is modeling and then doing :o).


No comments: