Sunday, November 21, 2010

Goodbye Mundri

Goodbyes are never easy, but I am learning that hard goodbyes are good goodbyes. As I sat with my friends in Mundri not knowing when I may see them again and feeling the sadness weigh in, it was a reminder that God allowed me to invest in this place, to love many, and to be loved by many. The goodbye was hard because Mundri became my home and my teammates and Sudanese friends became my family. The goodbye was hard because the Lord used Mundri to change and transform me, to teach me about dependence and community, to show me that I am not any less needy than my African brothers and sisters. The goodbye was hard because the future is unpredictable both for me and those I love in s. Sudan. And the goodbye was hard because I loved living in a place that was simple yet challenging. I loved riding my bike up and down the dirt road everyday wondering if a big truck was going to pass and leave me coated in dust. I loved greeting everyone as they passed. I loved going to the market a few days a week to by fresh veg. I loved entering a classroom as the students sang their greeting song. I loved sitting with friends as they served a cup of tea. I loved waking up to the sounds of chirping birds and falling asleep to the pitter patter of rain on the tin roof. I loved laughing with teammates and Sudanese friends as we exchanged African English phrases. I loved planning and carrying out teacher trainings with my teammate Bethany. I loved sitting with my small group girls as I read them books and they got new glimpses into the world and saw new pictures of their Creator. I loved cooking for my teammates every Monday night. And I love the many many things I have learned through my time in Mundri. So even though the sadness of the goodbye is still heavy, I am thankful for the hard goodbye because it means that Mundri was not just this place I lived in once upon a time, but was and will always be a home to me.

Me and my small group girls after our last meeting together

I felt very loved by my teammates as they threw me a wedding recpetion themed goodbye party

On my last Sunday at church I introduced my mother and grandmother as well as said my goodbye

This is Pastor Paul and his family which includes my good friend Nagenti and Regina one of the girls in my small group

This is my Moru family the Morris family. I spent my hours at their home playing games, eating good food, having sleep overs, learning language, and having lots of laughs.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's always hard to say goodbye, But thank God that you liked it and you are always welcome to Mundri, We miss you!!!!