Sunday, June 8, 2008

White Teeth

I realized after it was already placed there, that White Teeth is a very appropriate book to use as a weight for this orange basin. It was the gnawing sound of white teeth that woke me from a peaceful sleep last night and kept me awake for 2 hours. If you haven’t guessed already the white teeth belong to a pesky rat that has decided to find shelter in our house. My half awake, half asleep state kept me from tearing my room apart to try and find the pesky creature. And the fact that I really didn’t want the thing scurrying over my bare feet. I did finally fall back to sleep and woke up pretty sure that it was no longer hiding out in one of my drawers, but still rather annoyed.
This evening our new found pesky friend came out again. One of my roommates encountered it as she went down the hall, gave a little scream and ran back out to our front room as the rat darted down the hall in the opposite direction. At first we didn’t know where it went, but then it was spotted in one of the bedrooms. We all grabbed out necessary weapons (2 golf clubs, a very heavy and thick pounding stick, and an orange basin) and shut ourselves in the room. The question then remained; did we really know what we were doing? None of us really had the gumption to give it a deadly whack. So instead it became a game of shooing the rat around to try and get it to an open space where the orange basin could be thrown on top of it. After about 20 minutes of chasing the rat around the room, we finally succeeded with the basin. What next? Still no gumption for the kill. The rat now remains under the basin, with the heavy books weighing it down, over some powdered rat poison. Yes, we are pretty ridiculous. How we will tell when it dies, I am not quite sure.

2 comments:

The Nelsons said...

Is the rat dead yet? Funny story!!

Anonymous said...

HA HA!!!!