Sunday, June 1, 2008

Reuniting

Friday was a day of reuniting. First, I went and greeted the two schools that I taught in the last few months I was in Bundibugyo. As I came up to the first school the children were taking their break. When they saw me they started jumping up and down. This of course made me smile and I waved to them all before I entered the staff room to surprise the teachers. Only a couple of teachers I knew from before were there along with a couple of new ones. I sat with them as we went around and shared how life has been the last 4 or so months. When the students were back in their classrooms I went around and greeted them all. When I asked them if they remember me they a kind of ah huh sound that means yes. When I asked them what my name was they called out Madam Kim (or some say Kimi or Kimu). Praise God for special times like these. St. Padre Pio has developed a lot of improvements and really brings much excitement to my heart because it has the potential of being an amazing primary school.
I was also warmly greeted by the staff at St. Mercy. Before leaving Uganda I met with these teachers each week for teacher training. I was happy to see that most of the staff was still present and teaching. They told me that they were looking forward to talking with me more about how they have been applying the things we talked about in the fall and showing me how they have been using the materials I left. I was very encouraged by both school visits. The Lord is really moving in both places. Teachers are learning how to create safe and better learning environments. I also really felt like they cared deeply about the success and growth of their students. I anticipate many more visits over the summer and look forward to how the Lord will teach us all through these times.
Another exciting reunion was with the pottery house. We were almost to the house when we met some of our pottery friends on the road returning home. It is fun to catch people by surprise and to see their excited expressions. We walked together the rest of the way. As we walked up to the house I saw the woman I had the deepest friendship with, her back to me beginning to fire the pots. When she heard the commotion of us coming she turned around, noticed it was me, threw her hands in the air, and yelled eeeeeeeeeeeeehh. She ran up to me and gave me the biggest hug. They quickly got us chairs and one by one came up to greet. Everyone, including myself couldn’t stop smiling.
This day was a reminder to me that even with cultural and language barriers relationships are possible. Although it is easier to build relationships with people we have things in common with, we learn so much more from one another through our differences.

1 comment:

The Nelsons said...

Hey Kim, I am so glad you got to surprise your friends at the pottery house! Now that the interns have arrived I am sure you are going to keep plenty busy. Can I suggest that you change the color of text you use for your blog...it is kind of hard to read :o) Miss ya, Amanda