Wednesday, September 17, 2008

From Doing to Being

These days I feel like I am just going through the motions of life. It is like I have forgotten what I am doing, doing being the imperative word which I will get back to in a minute. On Monday i was thrown a little off course as I walked into the primary school that I was to sub at for the next four days, to find out that I would not be teaching, but would be assisting a handful of teachers with various aid jobs because their classes are overloaded. I will confess that my first thought was "Are you kidding me?" I couldn't help but begin to think about what I would rather be doing or about my long to do list waiting for me back home. I left Monday feeling like I had been in the way more than helpful. But later that evening I also felt frustrated and gross over my poor attitude. This is when I realized that I have returned to an ongoing struggle. A struggle where I think time is waisted if I am not doing what I think I should be doing. And we are back to the doing. This is where I have things a little mixed up, thinking that the doing is the most important thing. It is true that doing is an important part of life. We should get out of bed each day, eat, support our families, invest in relationships, etc. But it is when we rely on this doing to bring complete fulfillment that the mixing up begins to happen and we will instead feel empty. Instead of waking up each morning and asking myself, "What am I going to do today?" I need to instead be saying, "Lord, I long to be close to you today."
For each day is a day with the Lord, a day to reflect His character, to walk by faith, to grow, and to find fullfillment through an intimate relationship with Jesus.

"Even the most routine part of your day can be an act of spiritual worship, holy and pleasing to Me." Sarah Young (Jesus Calling)

2 comments:

KJP said...

Sometimes the mundane is exactly what we need - or to keep us from what we should not be at.....

DrsMyhre said...

Thanks Kim your reminders always hit home. I was also feeling inefficient yesterday. I rarely think about "who do I need to BE today" instead of "what do I need to do"? Thanks for posting. I miss praying with you.
Love,
Jennifer