Thursday, October 2, 2008

Moldy Shoes

I was at the shoe store today. As I opened the box, ready to try on the shoes the salesman just brought me I smelled a familiar pungent odor. Sure enough as I lifted the paper lying over the shoes I could see the evidence; moldy shoes. Not something you would expect at an American retail store. I did not freak out or get grossed out; instead I couldn’t help but laugh. The salesman was probably surprised when I brought the box back to him laughing, asking for another pair to try. For over two years I lived in a place where if I wasn’t careful with how I stored things or cleaned things mold would most definitely show up. I remember many occasions when I would open a trunk and be forced to breath in that nice fragrant fungus. I was never surprised to find moldy clothes, shoes, sheets etc. One time when I was traveling I decided to shove all my dirty clothes into one backpack and just left it like that until I returned back home. I think I may have put a slightly damp garment in there as well. Anyways, I am sure you can imagine what I found when that backpack was finally opened.

So although these are not the most pleasant of experiences, I am still thankful for the smile and laughter they bring. I am thankful for anything that floods me with memories of a place, person, or time that I love, even moldy shoes.

3 comments:

The Nelsons said...

Funny story Kim, Thanks for sharing it with us!!

-J said...

Hey Kim,

Just wanted to drop a line! Hope all is well. Keeping you and the whole team in my prayers.
-Jesse

KJP said...

Yuck!