Saturday, August 15, 2009

Complete Immersion

Last week I had the pleasure of staying with my language helper and her family. In those 5 days my love and respect for the people of Mundri grew immensely. Each morning M. and her family woke around 6:30am where at this time many trips were taken back and forth to the local bore hole for collecting water for that day’s supply. From there tea was brewed and taken with bread for a light breakfast, dishes were washed and then general cleaning done. In the midst of the cycle of washing, cooking, collecting, and cleaning time was spent grieving over a lost loved one with nearby neighbors, celebrating in the birth of a new baby, or just sitting with friends and family. Last week alone I attended two funerals and one traditional newborn revealing. And the evening that I left, M. was on her way to another funeral. During this week I may not have added heavily to my Moru speaking ability, but I was stretched and awe struck over the love that people have for each other here. One day during my visit I got sick and if I wasn’t in the choo (bathroom), I was laying in bed. M. and her sister -in-law took care of me as if I was their daughter checking on me constantly and encouraging me to eat and drink. Even one of the uncles who live with them noticed my constant trips to the bathroom and took one of their plastic chairs and cut a hole in it thinking I would rather have something to sit on vs. squatting (a little embarrassing at first, but something I laugh about now because it was very thoughtful). People here are truly and genuinely concerned for other people. I could go on and on about how I saw and experienced the love of the Lord reflecting through this family, but I will stop here by saying I am thankful for this humbling experience.


While I was there I taught two of the girls how to play some card games.
Cooking over the local 3 stone stove.

No comments: