Monday, May 18, 2009

Brain Freeze

You know how when you drink a slurpee or milk shake too fast you get a brain freeze? Well I feel like I have a brain freeze from an abundant intake of foreign words. Each day after my 2 hour language lesson I feel like my mind needs a time of nothingness. I have developed a good routine of taking a break after lessons, studying a bit, and then going out in the community to practice what I learned earlier in the day. It is amazing how learning a language can be so mentally exhausting and I feel like I need this whole weekend to recuperate and prepare my mind for next week. But the exhaustion is well worth it. Even though I have only had five days of lessons I feel like a lot of what I am learning is really sticking and I have many willing and helpful neighbors to practice with. The Moru language is difficult to learn in the sense of new sounds that I am unfamiliar with, but at the same time the sentence structures are pretty easy. For example to say I go, I went, I’m going, etc. the same word is used. You can tell what a person means by the context in which they are saying it. I am so thankful for this time that I have to slowly adjust and really dedicate my time to learning the Moru language and as much about the culture and daily living as I can.

No comments: