Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Walking in the Light

“This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.” 1 John 5-7
In Mundri there is no electricity. If people have power they get it either from solar panels or generators. The house on our temporary compound does have solar power, but my tukul does not. There are some nights when I forget to take a flashlight with me over to the house and so when I go to bed I literally have to walk with my hands out in front of me and very slowly so I do not run into anything or step in a rut. In Mundri once the time has reached 7:30 or 8pm people are no longer moving as much. Because there are no street lights taking a walk at night is not a good idea because you can’t really see where you are going. This week I was reflecting on these verses from 1 john and thinking about what it is like to walk in complete darkness from the Masso house to my tukul. I flinch if I see the shadow of something, I have hit my head many times on the thatch of my roof, even when I walk slow I still trip over things. We are not meant to walk in the dark. God is light. If we are walking with Him we will always be in the light. I was also thinking about these verses in terms of guidance. I tend to look ahead and then feel like I am in the dark because I do not know what will happen tomorrow or next week. But when I feel this way it is just a reminder that I should be walking in the present and everything right before me is in the light. In the light I can walk to people’s homes, sit with them, and build relationships. Let us all continue to walk with Him who is light.

No comments: