Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Magili Muna Ferre Ferre Moru Unine

Magili muna ferre ferre Moru unine (I am try little by little to learn Moru). Today I went on my first language route with my teammate Larissa. Each day she prepares a script or pictures to practice with people in the community, so as we sat it was a lot of pointing and repeating, meàma, youàmi. During today’s walk I was encouraged more and more at how important it is to learn the local language. As Larissa spoke to various people in the market and was able to use Moru their faces just lit up. People were so happy to be able to speak to her in their own language and it really shows that she cares for them. Today I was also given a Moru name Kitu wa, which means like the sun. I think I was given this name because my hair is lighter and is like the color of the sun. Being given a Moru name is also a very important step to bonding with the local people and I am excited to begin sharing this name when people ask because although Kim is a very easy name in the U.S. people are not familiar with it here. Please pray for my language learning and for the Lord to provide a language helper for both Larissa and myself.

No comments: