Saturday, May 9, 2009

Soaking it In

When people visualize what Africa must look like, they picture flat, barren, dry, and dusty land. Mundri fits this idea in its flatness but it is far from barren. There are many local trees that have wonderful uses besides a sanctuary of shade and rest. There is the Lulu tree, which if you take the nuts of the tree, dry them and press them, they can be turned into Lulu butter or soap which hydrates and beautifies the skin. There is the Maringa tree that bares beautiful white blossoms and tiny leaves. These small leaves can be dried and pounded into a powder that if added to food provides extra nutrition. And then there is the Mango tree which is in plenty here in Mundri. During Mango season people know they can always rely on the succulent Mango to satisfy.
As I begin to plant my own roots here in Mundri I have been thinking a lot about trees and plants and how they start out as a seed and over time with the right care and nourishment turn into a useful blessing for the community that provides for years and years. The Lord has been reminding me that acclimation and relationships take time. In these next few months I want to be that seed planted in the ground. It can’t really do much, but it sits there waiting to receive the necessary elements that will help it grow. Each morning I have the opportunity to wake up and receive the nourishment of truth from God’s word, from the power of His Spirit, and the strength of Christ. It is through this nourishment that I will be able to just BE and soak in all that is around me believing that through this time of soaking and receiving I will be more useful in the future.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth; It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Instead of a thornbush will grow the pine tree, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be the Lord’s renown, for and everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed.” Isaiah 55:9-13
I will go out in joy and be led forth in peace as I continue to just BE here in Mundri.

No comments: