Saturday, July 18, 2009

Ice Cream You Scream We all Scream for Ice Cream!



Last Thursday we celebrated Liana's 10th birthday. Thanks to the West End team, who brought us an ice cream maker, we got to enjoy our first batch of homemade ice cream. Ice cream is a huge treat here because we can't just walk down to the nearest convenient store to buy some Ben and Jerry's Mud Pie delight. Instead we have to remember a couple of days in advance to stick tons of water in the freezer and make sure we have plenty of salt. Then on the day of the churning we smash the ice into pieces and take our turn with the cranking. After about 45-60 min. of churning we have cold creamy deliciousness. During my time in Bundibugyo I got to enjoy some homemade ice cream made with milk straight from the cow, so tasty! Here in Mundri we have the luxury of powdered milk :o), something I have gotten used to over time. But the other day was my first time eating powdered milk ice cream. To be honest I think i was so excited about eating ice cream that I couldn't really taste a difference. I am surprised we didn't have any spoon fights as we went back for seconds :o).

No comments: