Thursday, July 9, 2009

Speaking Through Fun and Laughter


About two weeks ago my teammate Kyle, along with the interns, started playing volleyball with some of the local young men. Last Friday I was also asked to participate in the fun. We thought it would be a good idea for girls to be encouraged to play and may feel more encouraged if seeing me play. I felt very welcome by all those who played and there was even one other gal who played along with us.
I think it would be hard to find a culture that didn’t allow some time for a little fun and games, or didn’t enjoy a little friendly competition. Some people just have to be a little more creative than others. Just yesterday when I was out on a language walk I passed a group of neighbor kids playing a local game in the dirt. If you are familiar with the game Monkala(sp?), it is very similar. These kids dug cups in the ground and then used rocks as the pieces. I walked over to those playing and asked if they would teach me, taking this opportunity to spend time with children, and learn something new maybe along with some language practice. People here are always surprised when we are willing to sit in the dirt and get a little grimy. I would take dirty clothes and grungy fingernails anyday if it meant having these kinds of opportunities and experiences. After a couple of rounds of their stone game, I also taught some how to play Uno, which I happened to have with me. It was fun to have this exchange of games and communicate through fun and laughs. There are so many games that really don’t need a lot of verbal communication, and praise God that enjoyment can be expressed in so many ways.




1 comment:

Lionel Messi said...

Gooooooooooooooood
Thank you
The subject of more than wonderful